Saturday, October 22, 2011

Feeling Like an Idiot Keeps You Humble

So, after trying and failing to spray paint several different things (a small/old bookcase, some frames, etc.) I decided that I hated spray paint and would never use it again. The paint was crackling and rippling and making the most horrid mess I had ever seen. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I was following all the blog advice, light coats, letting it dry in between, light sanding to keep the surface ultra smooth, etc. That's it, I was convinced that I was a spray painting failure and nothing would ever change that. Why wasn't I getting that perfect glossy surface that other people seemed to be getting by following that same advice? Despair.
Well, I was reading a post on a decorating blog about painting furniture, and the author mentioned reading the instructions on the back of the can....what a revelation! Apparently, you have to apply the paint within a certain time period (1-24 hours depending on the type of spray paint), and may not reapply again until 2 weeks have passed. So...glad I had this information now, I have already finished painting the Expedit Bookcases and had started on the vintage dressers, and was feeling like they were never going to have the sleek look I was hoping for (No matter how I hand paint, it still doesn't look perfect to my critical eye). The moral of the story for me is, always read directions! I am looking forward to finishing the dressers and sharing the results of my newfound friendship with spray paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment